Deciding between various pest control companies can be a stressful task. These exterminators will be in and around your house, dealing with chemicals and other potentially dangerous traps and materials. Finding a pest control company you can trust and rely on is essential.
Do your homework and take your time, if permitted. Hiring a pest control company for periodic checkups to prevent infestations is beneficial. In the case of an infestation occurring, you already have a company you can trust and who is familiar with your home.
A pest control company’s qualifications will most likely set them apart from other companies. In many cases, there are better overall choices than going with the quickest or cheapest option. This is especially true when removing unwanted pests infesting your home, car, or yard.
There are many factors to consider before hiring any pest control company, such as experience and reputation. Here are a few questions you may want to ask the potential exterminators:
- Have all the exterminators received the proper training and license(s)? How long does the training process take?
- How long have they been in business?
- How familiar are they with the specific pests you are dealing with?
If you are looking for more tangible proof that a potential company is trustworthy, you are always welcome to ask them if you can see specific things such as:
- Pest control license(s).
- A list of references or reviews.
- Labels of pesticides and any other pest control products that they will use.
It may be beneficial to reach out to friends or family and ask if they have any recommendations for companies they are already working with or research the company online and look at their website and reviews. Another beneficial option is to get estimates from multiple companies to compare the rates of their services.
Red Flags to Look Out for When Hiring a Pest Exterminator
Whether in the pest control industry or not, plenty of companies don’t have the customers’ best intentions at heart. Here are some potential red flags to watch out for:
- Pushy sales – Beware of any company pushing you to sign a contract very early in the process.
- Unexplained Pricing – Watch out for misleading quotes. For instance, if the company quotes you a per-gallon price and doesn’t explain estimated quantities. Many pesticides require a few hundred gallons, so the per-gallon price can be misleading.
- Unexpected Visits – Pest control companies typically won’t just randomly show up at your home, so be wary of any company that does.
- Refusal to Provide Proof – It’s concerning when a company refuses to show you pesticide labels, and licenses, or won’t provide references. All companies should be prepared to show you any of these items upon request.
Don’t run for the hills just because a company does one of these things, but beware of potential scams.
Making Sure You Hired the Right Pest Control Company
Once you have asked all the right questions and compared the prices and services of multiple companies, you may have decided to hire one. However, ensuring you’re working with the right one doesn’t end there. While building trust with the company, here are a few things to look out for:
- The exterminators are wearing the proper safety items and following safety protocol.
- They use chemicals and materials that are safe for you and your pets.
- The technicians have explained to you what pest(s) they have found if any and can provide more information, such as where the infestation began and how it started.
- They can explain different treatment options and the effects they will have.
- The company will explain and offer further resources on pest control treatments and pest control prevention.
Overall, think about the values you want from the company you work with, such as communication and customer service. Make sure the company follows through with all obligations they offer, and do your research to ensure the information they provide seems reliable. Remember, if they are a licensed pest control company, they know more than Google!
A Local Pest Control Company You Can Trust
Plan ahead so you don’t have to rush into choosing a pest control company. Hire a company you can trust, like General Pest Control. Founded in 1978, we are licensed and have years of experience under our belt. We have dealt with all different pests, from termites to moles to ants. Currently, we have 3,000 trusting customers and have completed over 20,000 services. With a reliable and experienced team and affordable prices, General Pest Control is the company you are looking for. Head to our website, or call us for any inquiries!